RunRev and Linux

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 11 14:50:31 EDT 2010

Jacque, I do have all the libraries installed.  I do have Gnome installed, I
just hardly ever use it nowadays, maybe once in 6 months.   KDE the same.
And I've had the same problems on two machines which are straight up Gnome
systems with fairly fresh clean installs.  The editor problem I have
reproduced in Slitaz 3.0, just for the sake of installing on a system which
had as little as possible in common with my usual systems.  The application
runs fine, the IDE runs fine, but the editor, under the conditions I
supplied, crashes.  That was under openbox, my own case is fluxbox, and the
office systems were straight up Gnome with GDM and the gnome window manager,
no tweaking.

"Bare metal" is probably not a helpful way of putting it.  What I mean is
that there are many distributions which contain amended versions of package
or heavily tweaked configuration files.  Mandriva is one.  I think Ubuntu is
another.  The main thing about Slackware which I was trying to convey,
probably in a misleading expression, is not that it is stripped down and
lacking basic stuff.  It is not.  Its rather that Patrick V and the team
make strong efforts to carry packages as they come from the developer.  They
test of course, extensively, as an ensemble.  But they are trying to make
sure there is nothing or as little as possible that is unique to their
distribution in terms of the packages it is made up of.  I don't think they
are supporting Gnome the desktop environment now - they were not, some time
back.  But that doesn't mean you can't get all the libraries you need, or
run Gnome apps if you want.

The question is how to tell where the instability in a given application is
coming from.  Now my other suggestion for a reference system, Debian Stable,
does have variant packages, and there are lots of configuration files you
cannot edit, but that is counterbalanced by the fact that it undergoes the
most extensive testing of any distribution before release as Stable.

I have to say, if Rev is going to announce that it supports Ubuntu, but that
will not run properly on Debian Stable, or Slackware, it is going to make
itself the laughing stock of the Linux world.  That is not something it
should even consider doing.  For one thing, it will have to answer the
question of which Ubuntu?  It changes so rapidly.

But for now, if its believed to be a matter of incompatible libraries, lets
just list what you have to have installed by version for it to be certified
to work.  I'll happily check the versions of anything anyone wants to list,
and its simple enough to be sure of running 'the right' one.  Someone tell
me what libraries the editor is using, maybe I can find that both my current
Debian Squeeze and Slitaz have the same versions of them.  Its possible.

I know about the history - its how I got here.  I too used to be a Hypercard
user years and years ago.  Ah, if only....