[OT] What's an iPad?

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Sun Apr 11 12:17:54 EDT 2010

On Apr 11, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Neal Campbell wrote:

> >I had mine delivered from China on April 3rd since I ordered it the day it
> was available for ordering. I got the 64GB unit and its an amazing device.

Same story for me, I had placed my order within 3 minutes of it being order-able. Mine is the 16GB one.

It is a new kind of device, which you can use in place of other devices in many cases. I've played Mirror's Edge on my iPad more lately than I've played Mirror's Edge on my XBox 360! I sometimes intentionally read email on the iPad and not my MacBook Pro, that way if I want to carry on reading messages when going to another room, the kitchen for example, and I can easily take it with me.

The one thing I think it's not good for is pedestrian mobile usage. I'll often play Scrabble on my train ride to work (3 or 4 stops, under 20 minutes), and I'll carry on doing that on my iPhone. It'll be interesting to see how long it is before we start seeing people using them on the subway. It may well be the perfect "keep the kids quiet" device for motorists.