StandAlone - where is the stack window?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:33:59 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Mike Arnold <ma at snowcamp.org> wrote:
> Ok, finally back at Revolution, glad to be back, it really is fun.  Using
> Revolution Enterprise 4.0.0-dp-4 Build 910 on Max OS/X 10.5.8, Intel.
>
> Writing a little app to produce a Eudora -ike Filter Report for Apple Mail.
>  I hate to give up Eudora, but Apple is adding more and more native,
> integrated function and Eudora proper is no more and becoming more
> incompatible. Growl doesn't quite do what I want.
>
> When mail is acted on via a rule, it invokes an applescript that sends a
> message to the stack that indicates the destination mailbox.  The stack has
> a script that wakes up every 20 seconds to check if its been at least 20
> seconds since the last message was filtered and if there are any updated
> mailboxes.
>
> This all works fine when under the development environment, but when I
> generate a standalone application, the window doesn't appear anywhere.  The
> application starts and has its application menu, but no stack window.
>
> Only the stack script has any code ...  there are a few functions and
> message handlers (one called from applescript) and the following:
>
> on startup
>   InitAll
>   repeat
>      wait for 20 seconds with messages
>      CheckCounts      --decides if/when to print the list of affected
> mailboxes
>   end repeat
> end startup

Coming a bit late to this discussion, but the main difference between
a standalone & a stack running in the IDE, is that the IDE will never
trigger the startup message, but a standalone will. So I suggest
Box. I bet that will give an error and you will be able to fix it
then.

Another general technique for debugging standalones is the change the
standalone settings to include debugging. I like the set it to email
me. When an error occurs, I tell it to email the details and then I
can read the error report in the new email message. I don;t actually
have to send the email, but i gives me an easy way to read it.

Cheers,
Sarah