Idiot's guide to regular expressions?

Hugh Senior h at FlexibleLearning.com
Mon Sep 28 16:12:26 EDT 2009

There speaks a man after my own heart! I, too, have tried to wrestle with
pcre.org to no avail.

'Idiots Guide to...' all under one roof would be marvellous...
- Shell
- cgi
- post
- Cross-platform issues
[add your own here]

/H

The RunRev docs yield the explanation and definition of regular
expressions, used for example in the matchText function, to the
following link:

<http://www.pcre.org/man.txt>

while doubtless definitive, this amounts to an academic thesis of many
many pages, and of little practical use to folks not brought up on
Unix, such as myself, who don't have quite a few hours to spare.

Of course there is no shortage of other texts on regex to be found on
Google, but can anyone suggest a concise primer that will help me
parse ascii strings without too many tears? If there is one, maybe
it's time to suggest that RunRev mention it in the documentation.

TIA

Graham