File Types and Creator Codes

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Thu Sep 24 12:48:35 EDT 2009

You can get them via AppleScript - 'the creator type' and 'the file
type'. Just be aware that there is a big developer sh*tstorm blowing
up about file and creator codes being deprecated on Snow Leopard -
instead it basically just uses file extensions to decide what app to
open when double-clicking on a file. :-(

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2009/09/horrifically-bad-software-demos-become-performance-art.ars

Ian

P.S. Here's a script for a droplet:

on open (list_of_aliases)
	tell application "Finder"
		set myfile to item 1 of list_of_aliases
		display dialog "creator type: " & (the creator type of myfile) &
return & "file type: " & (the file type of myfile)
	end tell
end open