[teaser] Mac OS X external

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 06:32:38 EDT 2009

Sarah Reichelt wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Richmond Mathewson
> <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh, By, Am I naive or what?
>>
>> For us naive types could somebody, Please,
>> in a relatively simple way, explain what a
>> "dirty button/flag" is?
>>

> When a document needs to be saved, this is referred to as being
> "dirty". Since this is a true/false setting, it is often called a
> flag.
> In Macs, if you look at a document in say, Text Edit, if it needs
> saving, the close close blob in the title bar will have a dark centre,
> so this is a "dirty button".
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Thanks for a nice, clear explanation. I cannot help wondering
why the word 'dirty' is used in these cases; surely 'unsaved' is
much easier to understand (especially for folk like me!)

Gosh, I'm even goofier than I thought I was; always wondered
about those blobs!

Mind you I normally remember when things need saving
(about every 2 minutes) without any blobs.