[SOT] Haiku ???

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 10:34:26 EDT 2009

Why do I have a "funny feeling" related to the Google Chrome noise, and
now Haiku,
that there are very shortly going to be a number of OSes that may
effectively undermine
the 90% Windows - 10% Macintosh dominance.

I am not psychic, but I can always tell when rain is coming by the smell
in the air . . .

Of course any RAD that also "feels the seaweed" and is ready for the
next paradigm
shift will have a huge competitive edge.

Andre Garzia wrote:
> Richmond,
> Look at the about box for that system and look into past mantainers...
> you'll see, me! :D

Look up 'Ubiquitous' in your dictionary . . .   :)
> I created the network preferences for Haiku during the Google Summer of
> Code. Ok Ok, it is a very basic network preference pane but it is mine and
> it was done in C++
>
> As for Rev running under haiku, we'll thats my dream, if I could somehow
> fund this I would (tried the national lottery but did not win). Haiku is too
> small a market right now for them to target. Haiku has a potential to become
> the de facto free desktop operating system, it is way more pleasant than
> linux, right now, all that is missing is better hardware support and more
> applications. The rest is already there, the foundations are very solid.
>
> Keep an eye on Haiku, it will make lots of noise.
>
> But for Rev to run under haiku it would require a new implementation of all
> the graphics layer since haiku is not linux and does not use X11, GTK and
> friends. If Rev reaches the modularity stage where it someone can simply
> port some simple files and have it running on other system, we can then,
> make a pot of money and try to buy a custom engine.

"Pots of money" to you too!
> :D

Actually RunRev should be completely OS agnostic; and that includes well
established niche OSes such as RISC OS. Even if development can only take
place on a certain limited number of OSes deployment should be universal.
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Richmond Mathewson <
> richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> SOT - Slightly Off Topic
>>
>> http://www.haiku-os.org/
>>
>> Will RunRev be able, in the future, to produce standalones for this
>> Be OS clone?
>>
>> Will there be a revWeb plug-in for Haiku so that revlets can be accessed
>> in Haiku-based web-browsers?
>>
>> I wonder what the uptake on this OS will be: I'm just going to have a go
>> running it in Qemu and VPC.

Not successful at all; will burn a disk and run it live in my "piece of
junk".