Graphic speed comparison between webLets and desktop stacks

SparkOut SparkOutYNY at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 17:54:01 EDT 2009

James Hurley wrote:

> On the Mac there has been a longstanding problem in using repeat loops
> to control the movement of screen objects. It is necessary to insert a
> forced screen refresh every time through the loop on the desktop. That
> problem goes away on the Web. A screen refresh is no longer needed.
>
> The stack I wrote is very busy, lots of factors to vary in order to
> compare all the possibilities. If you have the courage you  can
> compare these things for yourself  on the desktop using the stack:
>
>     go url "http://jamesphurley.on-rev.com/OnRevGraphicTimer.rev"
>
> And on the Web, go to
>
>      http://jamesphurley.on-rev.com/OnRevTimer/test.html
>
> The stack is a little busy. Jim Hurley
>
> (P.S. On the third card of the stack above I added is a simulation of
> planetary motion. The speed is fine on the desktop and the motion is
> very smooth,  but it is WAY too speedy on the Web. I didn't include
> any accommodation for the speed change on the Web. A good example of
> the need to do so.

For comparison, I tried some examples on Windows (XP, Rev Enterprise
4.0-dp-4, Internet Explorer 8) and got identical* results on the desktop
stack as with the revlet.
*OK, I got the range 727, 728 or 729 milliseconds consistently when choosing
90 points in the circle and 7 milliseconds on the delay slider.