Quicktime and the Snow Leopard

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Wed Sep 9 06:07:42 EDT 2009

Le 9 sept. 09, à 11:28, Richmond Mathewson a écrit :

> Inevitably I am going to say what I have been banging on about for
> quite
> some time:
> I believe it is in Runtime Revolution's interests to free themselves
> from a
> dependence
> on Quicktime; preferably "rolling their own" stuff to handle
> multimedia:
> maybe so that
> all the multimedia capabilities offered by RR would work on Linux in
> exactly
> the same way
> as they work on Mac and Win.
>
> Sooner rather than later RR's dependency on Quicktime is going to
> prove an
> embarrassment;
> and, just possibly, that moment is already upon us.

This is inconsistent. QTX is Apple rewriting as set of API for
Quicktime; and, as for most software products, the first release is not
fully satisfying.
  You expect runrev, whose core expertise, IMHO, is not video, to do a
better job at it: starting from scratch to produce their own multimedia
package. C'mon.
Give credit to Apple: they acknowledge that QTX is not final by letting
folks use QT 7.

Honestly, I'd rather see runrev fix the "text field beast".

François