Dispatch-Sending keyDown

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 26 14:35:00 EDT 2009

J. Landman Gay
> I think Craig's question is more basic. He wonders why sending some
> keywords to a stack will then pass that message along the hierarchy
> automatically if the target object doesn't have a matching handler, but
> sending other keywords doesn't. I.e.:
>
> send "beep" to this stack -- passes it through the message path
>
> send "keydown" to this stack -- stops the message with an error at the
> stack level
>
> I have an untested theory. Command keywords will pass through the
> hierarchy, but system messages won't. ("Beep" is a command. "Keydown" is
> a system message.) I'm not sure what built-in functions would do but I'm
> guessing they'd act like command keywords.
>
> No time to test or verify; maybe someone else can.

That is weird indeed, and your theory seems reasonable given Raney's
focus on trimming system message handling.

I would file such inconsistencies as minor bugs and move on to enjoy the
greater variety of messages Rev offers which don't require workarounds
like sending an unhandled keyDown to the stack at all.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World