Calling all open source developers

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 14:11:19 EDT 2009

I think the underlying issue is this.  If you are entering an open source
project with the idea that it is either desirable or possible to prevent
forking, you are in the wrong place.  Its not that open source is the bees'
knees necessarily, but it is what it is, and its the essence of it that
forking shall be possible and open to everyone.

It may be hard to get one's head around this, if one is working in the
traditional commercial licensed and paid software model.  And it may not be
all that great.  But that is how it is.  If you think its important to limit
forking, don't even think of doing a project as open source.  Its 180
degrees in the wrong direction.

Peter