Blocking the 'Windows keys' doesn't work. Why?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Tue Nov 24 07:17:27 EST 2009

Hi William

> I place my code as a 'stack script'.
> I use it to make a fullscreen app in which I also block the arrowkeys,
> the
> menubar and the taskbar.
>
> On Windows when you hit the 'Windows key' I don't want it to respond
> because
> otherwise you will still see the taskbar and the startmenu.
> I used the code suggested on the mailinglist before but it doensn't
> work,
> which means: I still get the taskbar and the startmenu when I hit the
> 'Windows key'. Hopes this explains my 'problem'.
>
> Can anyone help me to block the Windows key?

Now that I understand what you are asking, I do not believe it is possible
for any application level program to intercept OS system-wide keystrokes
like print screen, scroll lock, or the Windows Start menu key. This is
because the OS itself intercepts these types of keystrokes before they are
passed on to any application.

It would be a pretty poor OS that let one application hijack these
keystrokes and deny them to the OS itself.

When I say it's not possible, I mean it's not possible for an application
level program to do this. There are special DLLs called rootkits that can do
this. But, with a few legitimate exceptions, they are also generally known
as viruses. ;-)

I think you will have to settle for the backdrop property of rev.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini