Looking for a defined path to learn Rev (for new users)

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Fri Nov 20 19:30:17 EST 2009

My personal introduction to computers was TTL hardware. Anything I learn has
to have some end goal or purpose.

 As my circuit boards got more and more complex, and wire wrapping was such
a pain just to lay out a little bit of stupid logic, that about 1975 I
started looking for a "better way" to control things. That led to a Z80
single board computer and Hex entry, then to an Apple ][ in assembly, basic
and compiled basic, to a PDP-11 running Forth, a Rockwell AIM-65 computer
running forth on ROM, back to Apple, then to a Mac, to hypercard, now
Rev....

I've recently been going through a painful purge of my Apple ][ hardware,
starting with all the data on the 51/4" disks. There's a very nice
cross-platform system called ADT that allows a mac to be a server for an
Apple ][ client through several methods. Basically you can start with bare
iron and create an ADTPro system disk (it does pokes in the monitor very
slowly here) that eventually sets up a network between the two for transfers
at 115,000 baud! I didn't even know the Apple could do that. The resulting
files are .dsk images that an Emulator like Virtual ][ can read.

Anyway, mid-mission the old Apple ][ plus keyboard failed. I had all these
disks sitting around... Finally I bit the bullet and bought a very nice
Apple ][e and drive for about $60 on ebay, with shipping. Finished the job.
It takes about 30 seconds to copy a 140k disk.  Earlier ADT users may
remember it took a lot more time in years past. Very fine coding - Now all
rewritten in Java. It runs in ProDos but copies any format.

http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/

But I've had my fill of nostalgia, the small programming spaces, the awkward
typing, disk errors, bad keyboards, etc. This stuff was wonderful for it's
time, I made my living for years with it and I love my old machine dearly,
but ....

   I so appreciate the tools I have now.

Anybody in the SF area that wants a few Apple disks copied before I tear
this rig down let me know....

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco
http://houseofcubes.com/disco.irev