Stykz

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun May 31 14:29:16 EDT 2009

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>> although it is not overtly stated one look at the interface
>> is a dead give-away that it has been made with
>> Runtime Revolution.
>
> The scope and functionality of Ken's program is very impressive, but
> if just looking at it makes it clear what development tool it was made
> with that's quite a harsh indictment for the tool.

Oddly enough my remark was not really intended as an indictment; more
like praise.

The 'commands' palette IS a Runtime Revolution palette; to which I would
say:-

* As I, personally, write software for the Primary school brigade I tend
to spend quite some time disguising the origins of
    my standalones in keeping with the candy-coloured, Crayola-crayon
school of Kindergarten aesthetics . . .

  [of course many people, who don't have such a socking-great
self-conceit might have had an attack of acute self-doubt about
    these aesthetics a long time ago  :)  ]

   Not everyone's "bag" I know; the important part of the above is
"disguising the origins"; if you want to, you can, if you are
   OK with the 'plain vanilla' of the supplied buttons, stay with them.

The toolBar looks as though it has wandered over from some incarnation
of Metacard.

* Neither of these points is really important unless the manufacturer
has an urge to "cover his/her tracks".

> Ideally, any development tool would produce wares which are so
> reflective of conventions of the OSes it runs on that it would be
> indistinguishable from products made with, say, xCode or MS Visual
> Studio.
Really?  If that were so why would one bother to use Runtime Revolution?
> FileMaker, HyperCard, and some other tools took such radical liberties
> with OS conventions that it was usually easy to spot things made with
> them; the developer had little control over many of the design
> elements that were forced on them.
Yeah, yeah ... OS conventions . . . 3 cheers for Kai Kraus!

Runtime Revolution allows the developer a tremendous amount of control
over the design elements (err, just compare it with
Visual Basic ); whether the developer decides to "go all wierd and
artistic", stick with the "plain vanilla", or something in between
is his/her decision; and that is what I love about Runtime Revolution -
that it allows the developer almost complete artistic
control.