Best Practices Question

Bill Andersen andersen at mwdental.com
Wed May 27 11:41:44 EDT 2009

Devin,

  Great stuff.  Very helpful.  If nothing else to confirm I'm not as lost
  as I feel sometimes.  I find I do 90% or more of what you listed.  I guess
  just from experience with other languages!

> Declare your local variables and enable the "variable checking
> by default" option.  It will help prevent typos and cut down
> your debugging time.

  Variable Checking is one of the first things I found and turned on.
  I really like "C" because of its structure, but for the life of me
  I just can't "think that way" and get anything done in C.  I'm very
  familiar with VB (I wrote our in-house EDI transaction processing
  from scratch in VB...  Yikes!) and the first line of any of
  my projects in VB is "Option Explicit".

  However, Variable Checking by default throws a stick in the spokes
  when you download other peoples work and accidentally hit the compile
  button when viewing their code LOL!  (OK, OK, just don't hit save!!!)

> There! That's probably more than you bargained for. And I'm sure
> others will chime in with more advice. We all have plenty of that, for
> free. :-)

  I'm still reading the links you sent and Yes, this is a great group.

  Thanks to all!

Bill