[OT] Opinions about On-Rev

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue May 26 18:39:58 EDT 2009

Bill Marriott wrote:
> Jacque,
>

>> This was the default location where JaguarPC put them, and I assume is how
>> it needs to be set up.
>>

> It's the default location but it does *not* need to be that way whatsoever
> and both will work just fine.
>
> In fact, there is an issue where putting it within the public_html folder
> will enable anyone to browse to
>
> http://user.on-rev.com/mydomain.com/
>
> or indeed, http://domain1.com/domain2.com
>
> and see the other, unrelated site, which I do not find desirable. This is
> why I put separate domains at the root. It prevents anyone from seeing the
> content unless they navigate to the intended domain.

That sounds (to me) like a compelling reason to do it that way - and I
just succeeded (with a brand new domain name bought just so I can play
around without risking existing users).

You may not care, but afaict the current on-rev client is unable to
access such root-based add-on domains - it only sees public_html and
sub-folders within that.  A great pity, I've already found the client's
ability to help with debugging of irev scripts to be tremenduously
helpful ....

-- Alex.