OT pour les Francaise: 3G pay-as-you-go in France?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue May 26 05:32:57 EDT 2009

I'm abusing the list to contact some of our French correspondents.  Apologies
to everyone else... and apologies to French speakers for my appalling Franglaise.

I'm wondering whether it's possible to get hold of 3G data stick - or the SIM
to go into one - for use in France, on a "pay-as-you-go" basis, rather than a
long term contract.  In the UK, these 3G USB data modems, initially only
available on quite long contracts with substantial monthly subscription, then
became available under pay-as-you-go for about £100 (then about €130) and have
since been dropping repeatedly so that you can now get one for about €25.

Theoretically the ones I have should work in France, but paying a very high
premium over the domestica data rate - in practise I've never been able to
make them work at all.  So I'm wondering about the possibility of getting a
French one to use while I'm in France - but I'm there often enough/long enough
to justify doing so on a contract.

I know that the mobile/cellular telephony market works very differently in
different countries; are pay-as-you SIM cards (with 3G data access) or modem
sticks available?  And are they truly pay-as-you-go, or (as seems to be the
case in the US) somewhat lightweight contracts, where you have to top up by a
minimum amount every few months otherwise it stops working altogether?

Any responses (off-list might be better!) gratefully received.

thanks,

- Ben