Another newb question - How to you clear a field?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri May 8 17:00:09 EDT 2009

Stephen Cox wrote:

"Be easy in an OOP language"

that begs the question:

Have you ever tried saying "Please can I have a glass of beer?" in
Bulgarian?

I find it easy, because I speak the language.

However, ask me to clear a field in an OOP language and I be quite
unable to do it.  :)

Actually, Joe Lewis Wilkins' advice is very good indeed. Coupled with
the PDF file
that comes with RR, the in-built Documentation, and; speaking as somebody
who works down in the "babyish end" of Runtime Revolution programming:
ME. Ask away, and I will either give you an answer, or, at worst, say that I
don't know. Luckily this is a fantastic list where most contributors are not
going to look down their noses at you, but, more likely, bend over backwards
to help you.

" It's just different from anything else on the market."

Nonsense!  :)  Supercard (which only works on Mac and Windows) is also
descended from Hypercard and uses a programming language that has
evolved from Hypertalk.

Toolbook has also evolved from the same origins (although the relation is
now about as clear as that between an elephant and a hyrax).

What is, maybe, different, is the metaphor of a stack of cards, and the idea
that every object has its own script that appears in its own
instantiation of
the script editor - unlike, for instance, the long list of object codes in
Visual Basic.  The language is, 99% of the time, a lot less obscure than
other
programming languages because its predecessor, Hypertalk, was initially
designed for non-programmers. Once you realise that, relax a bit (the
learning curve is not nearly as bad as scaling Mount Everest), and do a bit
of thinking about how the metaphor might work you should get up to
speed relatively quickly; especially if you can silence all the niggles and
doubts leaking in from your knowledge of other programming environments.