App on Linux - really slow... any ideas why?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 8 06:53:32 EDT 2009

OK, loaded Puppy 4.2, with the copy to memory option and using Xorg not VESA.

Ran the IDE 3.5, and it seemed fine.  Fired up a few stacks and they were
fine, positively snappy.

Ran Stackrunner, and using that, started up Sarah's Barcode key tester.
Also Ken's XML editor.   Also another xml application stack.  All loaded and
seemed to work fine.  I've previously found the XML editor a little slow on
very large files, so speed is a bit hard to judge, but wasn't obviously any
worse than it had been on earlier versions of SR.

The borders colors and so on in all case are unpleasantly garish, but that
must be a feature of the Puppy theme.  But otherwise, it ran so fast I
thought seriously of moving one installation that only runs one app over to
Puppy.  Compared to Mandriva it screams along, its like moving back from
Vista to Win98 on old hardware.

I didn't have any difficulty running the stacks from within the IDE or using
StackRunner.  Ken, could it be that you do not have file associations set up
right?  They do not run for me by simple clicking.

I'll have another bash at Slax today if poss.

Does anyone have a seriously display intensive stack they can post
somewhere?  It would be nice to have one that definitely does show the
problem.  Or, Ken, if you want to mail me a compiled version of yours that
is causing the problem, I'd be happy to see if I can reproduce and/or do
something to eliminate it.

It occurs to me that it might be worth trying Slitaz, a true minimalist
distro, 30MB or so.  If the problemstill happens with Slitaz, its really at
a basic level with Linux rather than some dispensable extra bit.

Peter