Dumb Newbie Questions -- 1 of N

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Fri May 1 19:19:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, 1 May 2009, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
<snip>

> Of course, once one abandons the standard metaphor and views custom
> properties as
> pointers to drawers in a filing cabinet (or, even, maybe, the drawers
> themselves) everything
> becomes clearer.
>
> The term 'custom property' is misleading; it is like asking "Where is
> Axminster?" and then
> wondering why they don't show you the bathroom.

--Well, yes, especially that last part, wherein I felt rather like I was
being asked to interact with invisible magic things, only, when they're
invisible how will I know them when I see them?  I mean, I literally
didn't know what step 1 was supposed to be.  I had a vague, fuzzy notion
of what they were supposed to do but not how they did it.

So, anyway, I did one.  Yay me!

I dunno... I still like cards.  I like things that I can see, have mass
and/or take up space. ;-)

Many thanks again to all who replied, and special thanks to the ChatRev
twins who displayed admirable restraint in NOT reaching through the tubes
of the internet to strangle the life out of me ;-)

Judy