First look at Service USB gadget

DunbarX at aol.com DunbarX at aol.com
Fri May 1 10:09:15 EDT 2009

I got one of these, a general purpose I/O device. It simply plugs into a
USB port on a Mac. It is a stronger, though very similar version of the old
Beehive "ADB I/O" device. Stronger mainly in that USB is much faster than
Apple's ADB bus. It is completely self contained. Plug and play. It comes with
externals for revolution, as well as other environments.

It is a fabulous toy. Basically, a suite of rev commands and functions
allows one to "write" (open and close output switch contacts) or "read" (detect
the state of input switch contacts). There are also analog inputs with 12
bit resolution, and pulse width modulation is implemented internally

Almost anyone could create an alarm system, a light show or the like with
radio shack components. You need hobby level electronic know-how to do
anything really cool, but your Mac can completely control the world. It is
hardware I/O for the rest of us.

Craig Newman