Only supported on some platforms . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 03:53:22 EDT 2009

Kay C Lan, quite rightly, pointed out that my fantasy about "supported"
would be cumbersome;

However,

this is rather missing the point of my thread :)

Suppose the following scenario:

Richmond is popping together one of jaw-breakingly moronic little
standalones for EFL content delivery to be deployed on Ubuntu and
Windows XP: he's popping it together on a Macintosh.

Because the standalone is jaw-breakingly moronic half of Richmond's
mind is elsewhere (usual situation) and he forgets that Linux and
Windows (while, generally, sporting similar GUIs) are very, very
different; uses a term that doesn't function on one or both of
those platforms - belts out his standalones, burns them on discs, slings them at the kids to take home; gets egg all over his face.

Admittedly, I am not quite that goofy, as I always compile standalones
on the end-user platform!

However . . .

Now imagine an 'alarm system', 'error trapper', call it what-you-will,
that every time one uses a term that does not function on all the
platforms RR can deliver to pops up a modal window saying something like:

"Oi, Wake Up Mush - XXXX works only with Linux and Mac OS X"

where 'XXXX' is the term in question.

To be able to implement that I suggested the 'supported' idea:

If the supported of XXXX is not 1,1,1,1 then
  if the supported of XXXX is 0,0,0,1 then
    answer "This term only works with Linux"
  end if

end if

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.