[ANN] I have a confession...

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 10:29:54 EDT 2009

If using ...

Firefox, get the add in "Session Manager" - indispensable
BBEdit, setup project windows, and it remembers all the open docs/
windows, and their positions across 3 monitors.
Photoshop, I use an Applescript to record open images, then reopen the
list with a double click on an app.
Excel, I just use the Recent menu

but no other levels of automatic restore that I can think of.  My
first thought would be a set of AppleScripts using Automator (built in
to OSX), then have a MyScripts menu to trigger 'save configuration' or
just trap events and ask for user input where necessary.

Adding the use of System Events probably means you could control most
any app that runs on the Mac.
Further, you could store configuration files that would mean 'close
all apps', 'launch config ImageWork', 'close all apps', 'relaunch
config EmailOnly', 'relaunch config WebResearchExcel'.  Thus you would
have a routine that would allow the user to 'update' any of the config
files.  This would also allow 'project' configuration files to be
managed.

My own needs tend to evolve and be rather eclectic, so this style does
not really work for me, but there are many times I have been tempted
to write some of this.  Using a Rev interface, you could call the
various AppleScripts (VB in Windows) to save.restore.delete.reset
configuration files.

Windows product for $80
http://download.cnet.com/Action-Process-Automator/3000-2248_4-10030475.html

OSX