HC Music that should be on Runtime Revolution

Colin Holgate coiin at rcn.com
Wed Mar 18 10:22:52 EDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Kay C Lan wrote:

> I believe Colin Holgate's instigated MIDI experiment on Jacques slower
> machine using a field (the slow method) as storage revealed a
> latency of 8.3
> MICROseconds.

That was just the reading the data from the field. The bigger
slowdown, which I haven't tested (yet) is the writing of the file, and
connecting it to the player. It's very fast, but will probably be a
significant fraction of a second. Apparently a half second delay is
too long for 8 year olds, so hopefully it would be faster than that.

Another issue is the one about understanding MIDI, and its
limitations, and requirements. I could probably do an interpreter that
took HC play commands and created the MIDI needed to play the sound
you asked for, but it would still require that QuickTime be installed.
Also, I could only really specify General MIDI, and I don't thing that
has the "boing" sound!