HC Music that should be on Runtime Revolution

Judy Perry katheryn.swynford at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 05:53:48 CDT 2009


I certainly wasn't offended.
As for the age of the "young children," well, mine are nearly 8.  They
desperately want a cell phone but aren't getting one anytime soon.  ;-)

Yes, they *would* notice latency.

As you say, Kay, in the old days when we all weren't quite so long in tooth,
we could all roll our own.  In HC, I could roll my own tunes without having
to know the midi spec and with only knowing how to read sheetmusic.  And I
could have sound channels.  And without having to use Player Objects,
layered or not.  Without latency. Without QuickTime.  On the sorts of older
machines I trust my wee ones with (not mine certainly!).

And now, none of that's possible and FOR NO GOOD REASON.  No good reason.

Again, the problem with MIDI is this:  (a) it requires learning the MIDI
spec; (b) it requires QT dependency.  It isn't clean and elegant and it
isn't internal.  And it still doesn't really deal with the sound channel
issue.

But I'll gratefully accept and support and help pay for an external that
does help in these areas.

Judy
http://revined.blogspot.com

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Kay C Lan <lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Richard Gaskin <
> ambassador at fourthworld.com
> > wrote:
>
> >
> > While referring to HC's notation as "door bell jingles" may sound
> derisive,
> > these days when people are accustomed to richer sound design, it's not an
> > entirely unfair characterization to the modern ear.
> >
>
> Nice pun;-) And certainly I didn't mean to offend anyone, as I think I
> said,
> "I'm wondering", as in I'm trying to figure this out, I've used sound files
> in Rev and have been more than happy with the results; I just can't seem to
> grasp what it is I'm missing out on.
>
> Three phones ago I could create my own ringtone by typing in HC like
> notation and saving the file. The web was full of text snippets of the
> appropriate code for the appropriate make of phone so you could quickly
> type
> in and have you own personal version of "rape of the moonlight sonata" ;-)
>
> Today I can't even find those text snippets anymore because everything has
> moved onto mp3 files. Three phones ago I could roll my own*, today it's not
> so simple - you still can, but you need to use some third party software
> (GarageBand) to create your mp3 - and it certainly wont sound as good as an
> mp3 of a real artist. Most people will see this as progress, some may
> consider they've lost something.
>
> Judy's reference to children not likely noticing the sound quality I
> suspect
> must be referring to very young children because all the fifth graders at
> my
> wife's school all have the latest pop songs blasting out their iPhones when
> somebody rings, they seem to be very image concscious.
>
> If the children are that young not to notice the quality, then isn't it
> possible that they wouldn't notice the latency mentioned with the MIDI
> solution.
>
> Still wondering why external, as put forward by Richard way back at the
> beginning, isn't the correct answer?
>
> *Roll my own in this case refers to creating an original ringtone, not the
> art/crime of splicing up a file in your iTunes library or copy/sharing such
> a file.
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>



More information about the use-livecode mailing list