HC Music that should be on Runtime Revolution

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 23:25:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com
> wrote:

> While referring to HC's notation as "door bell jingles" may sound derisive,
> these days when people are accustomed to richer sound design, it's not an
> entirely unfair characterization to the modern ear.

Nice pun;-) And certainly I didn't mean to offend anyone, as I think I said,
"I'm wondering", as in I'm trying to figure this out, I've used sound files
in Rev and have been more than happy with the results; I just can't seem to
grasp what it is I'm missing out on.

Three phones ago I could create my own ringtone by typing in HC like
notation and saving the file. The web was full of text snippets of the
appropriate code for the appropriate make of phone so you could quickly type
in and have you own personal version of "rape of the moonlight sonata" ;-)

Today I can't even find those text snippets anymore because everything has
moved onto mp3 files. Three phones ago I could roll my own*, today it's not
so simple - you still can, but you need to use some third party software
(GarageBand) to create your mp3 - and it certainly wont sound as good as an
mp3 of a real artist. Most people will see this as progress, some may
consider they've lost something.

Judy's reference to children not likely noticing the sound quality I suspect
must be referring to very young children because all the fifth graders at my
wife's school all have the latest pop songs blasting out their iPhones when
somebody rings, they seem to be very image concscious.

If the children are that young not to notice the quality, then isn't it
possible that they wouldn't notice the latency mentioned with the MIDI
solution.

Still wondering why external, as put forward by Richard way back at the
beginning, isn't the correct answer?

*Roll my own in this case refers to creating an original ringtone, not the
art/crime of splicing up a file in your iTunes library or copy/sharing such
a file.