Technical docs for maintenance of apps ?

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Sat Mar 14 08:57:16 EDT 2009

Hi list,

Just curious : how do you guys handle technical docs for your apps
(mostly for maintenance) in case of complex algorithms and/or
architecture ?

Fos instance, I have a cgi script (triggered by a rev client app) that
is
used once a day to update a DB, and it also outputs a text file that
contains
javascript variables structured as xml (this file is then used /
imported by various
web pages as part of the javascript needed to work properly).
Furthermore,
the (large) xml data are structured in a very efficient way to reduce
its size for
faster download and faster use inside those webpages...
All this stuff is quite fast and efficient, but frankly I wonder if I'll
be able to
remember every detail in 6 months...

So the question is : is there any efficient way to describe all these
multi-level
tasks / fine-tuning of scripts and data for further maintenance ?

Thanks,
JB