Music/sounds in Revolution

René Micout rmicout at online.fr
Fri Mar 13 07:00:59 EDT 2009

Hello everybody, (excuse me for my english by advance)
The reading of recent interventions about music and sounds, where
Judy was hight the flag of claims (claims are not a first step
towards "revolution" ?) leads me to a point on the oppotunities witch
are give to us : I will leave aside the sounds mamangement witch, I
think, can easely be resolved from the moment that music production
wil be resolved. Some like Judy concern are "composed" pieces of
music as HyperCard. In this case we have excellent tools like
Shakobox (more precisely SBplay, SBstartNote and SBstopNote commands
of Jon Bettencour) or  "pmd" of "UDI" and his extension of Hypertalk
command's, and if we want to explore MIDI, the excellent MIDI Builder
of Kurt Kaufman.
All this tools have their downside : Shakobox need a third party
application "PlayCommand Agent" (Revolution + AppleScript on Mac +
PlayCommand Agent + QT synthesizer) and has limitations especially in
terms of time management. However it is possible to "play live" with
SBstartNote and SBstopNote commands.
Pmd and MIDI Builder have a common disadvantage : we cannot "Play
live" because of principle : create a MIDI file witch is play by QT
player, resulting in a latency of at least 1/5 seconds at the start
of the file...
For myself, I have 2 needs (requirements ?) : 1. Create MIDI file to
export sequencies to Logix by example. 2. Generate MIDI command
(notes by example) directly to QT synthesizer. The first requirement
is satisfy with a little tool that I have to make in large part with
help of Kurt Kaufman :-), for the second, I do, for the moment, with
SBplay, SBstartNote and SBstopNote of Jon Bettencourt use by
Shakobox. There is few month, Jacqueline say (write) to me that
PlayCommand Agent [PCA] was write with RealBasic. I don't use
RealBasic... But, maybe one of us use RealBasic and put au
disposition le RealBasic code's of PCA so it can be "translated" ans
rewritten in Transcript... and improved and expanded to meet needs
like mine... Pending Revolution implements natively equivalent
commands... It exists in SuperCard, so...
Bons souvenirs de Paris
René