My BBC Master - - - getting Beeped-off.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 11 13:52:28 EDT 2009

Judy wrote:
> I mean, really, it clearly exists in PC gaming.

So does real-time 3D, isometric grid management, and scriptable opponent
  AI, but I can't blame RunRev for prioritizing these below features
that would be used by a larger number of developers.

For myself I'd sooner see isometric grid management, esp. now that
SimCity 1.0 has been open sourced (see
<http://www.donhopkins.com/home/micropolis/>), as it makes a wide
variety of spatial simulations much more achievable*.  But I would
understand if there are few here who would share that interest. ;)

> Okay, clearly, nobody is expecting that *I* know how to make it happen. (if
> you're the odd soul holding your breath, stop now.  Breathe.  really.  you
> need to breathe.)

Damn.  I was hoping to download a solution from your blog this afternoon. :)

> But somebody really smart out there, really smart with respect to xTalks,
> really aught to know how to make it happen, No?

You may be onto something there, and it seems an ideal third-party
opportunity.

* Few among us dare to take the time to write our own grid system, but
Jeremy Russell of TaggedSoftware.com did a great job of that building
his game Gladiator Trials II:
<http://www.gladiatortrials2.com/>

Jeremy made this in Rev, and it very much rocks. Way cool design, and if
you like RPGs it's a lot of fun.

This section describes a bit of the "making of":
<http://www.gladiatortrials2.com/makingof/>

Inspiring stuff.  Check out this screen:
<http://www.taggedsoftware.com/gt2/images/screenshots/scrshot_06.jpg>

Nice.

--
  Richard Gaskin