My BBC Master - - - getting Beeped-off.

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Tue Mar 10 20:24:46 EDT 2009

> ...It is Shakobox on Jacque's site developed by Rebecca Bettancourt
> that
> utilizes the QT library.  If you've got a Mac, great.  No sound
> channels but
> you kinda fake them.  It requires an external player that has been
> opensourced and so, if you know RB, you might be able to fiddle with
> it
> further.  If you don't have a Mac, you're kinda out of luck AFAIK
> because
> while there is a Windows version, I've never actually come across
> anyone who
> was able to make it work under Windows....

If QT is present on Windows, you can call up the instruments (or
whatever MIDI voices are found on the PC -depends on the particular
flavor of Windows) by sending them MIDI instructions.  In MIDI-Builder
this is done by playing a short MIDI file for each note.  It doesn't
involve resampling sound resources, and, as a result, you don't end up
with distortion of timbre and length when the sound is transposed more
than a few pitches up or down. Instead of sound channels, you use MIDI
tracks.

BUT,
if what you're looking for is "that late 80s/early 90s click'n'pop
Macintosh sound-chip feel"  (you know what I mean!), MIDI probably
won't cut it.
:-)

Kurt