[OT] Another hole in the Ozone layer

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:43:55 EST 2009

Sorry, going to steal this thread;-)

Everyone knows changing from incandescent light bulbs to energy saver ones
is good for the environment, but I seem to be having trouble doing it on my
Mac.

I noticed the other day that my daughter's MacBook Energy Saver
PreferencePane Icon is an Energy Saver light bulb, like the one at the
bottom of this page under the heading: Extra small. Extra green

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

My MacBook Pro 17" Energy Saver PreferencePane Icon is the same old
incandescent light bulb they've used for ages. Between us, my family have a
MacBook Pro 17", MacBook Pro 15", a MacBook, a PowerBook G4, a Power Mac G5
and two G4 Mac Mini's all running 10.5+. All of them have the incandescent
light bulb except my daughter's MacBook. I'm on 10.5.6, she's on 10.5.5.

I note the old incandescent Icon is used in this recent Apple video tip:

http://www.apple.com/business/theater/?sr=hotnews#tutorial=optimizingbattery

So, anyone else out there have the Energy Saver Icon? And how did you get
it?

(PS I do appreciate that changing to the Energy Saver Icon will not in fact
save any energy, but as with most things hyped as 'Eco Friendly' these days,
it's more about show - like trucks and buses with 'eco' engines; sure they
might pump less greenhouse gases into the atmosphere but the only time any
diesel/petrol engine of any size is friendly to the environment is when it's
turned off)