EduTainment Titles

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Jun 29 01:24:34 EDT 2009

We are doing a feature story in Hinduism Today on the Snakes and Ladders
game, stay tuned.

There are numerous versions in existence. We just got an incredible book
on Indian board games.
A marvelous resource....the chapter on Snakes and ladders is huge.

I'll see if I can find addresses where you can buy these.

Why bother creating an online version?

Because you are tired of coding back end production publication
production tools/web apps and want to do something more interesting, fun
and useful for the end user...  just kidding (not really....)

Many reasons:

1) kids are addicted to the screen. You may not be able to get them
purchase a the physical game, but you can certainly get them to play it
on online, better this than "shoot 'em dead, drag her by the hair" games...

2) You can build a very rich version of "teachings" which are a bit more
in the language of today's youth. I think with a slight "challenge"
addition, it could be even more enticing. Right now all you do is roll
dice and then you land on a square that has something useful to learn...
but an additional step could be added to require that the player make a
choice of fill in a response to a question etc. (Lots of what was sent
to me has examples of this in the language learning category)

3) If the kid is begging mom to let her/him use the computer, and mom
has control over access, here is something she can offer, while she does
the laundry. I actually had another marvelous coloring application,
Mystic Mouse that was delivered in the computer via the net... I will
resurrect that thing once the plug-in is settled down....... I had one 9
year old girl "register" saying "This is the only thing my mother will
let me do on the computer,  I like coloring the pictures, the colors
stay inside the lines...." (btw, a b/w outline GIF.. if you use the
paint tools the fill tool will automatically stay inside closed paths...
so making coloring books is easy)

You can be sure this little girl had lots of coloring books and crayons
in her room, those cost money, my app was free.

4) We know Dr. Stevanne Auerbach, Institute For Childhood Resources...
popularly known as "Dr. Toy" because she believed that learning should
be fun and that children can learn thru play...her books and products
are very, very popular.  She visits us here from time to time.

10 years ago she was rather adamant about the importance of "hands on
play-learning" and frowned on computers...

 2 years ago she reluctantly admitted, "Young people are in front of
their screens... we may not like it, but that's the reality. We have no
choice now but to make good use of this new channel."

OK everyone, don't keep the titles coming I appreciate all the input so
far.

Sivakatirswami