Version number, Splash screen, Auto-update

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 01:07:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM, jim sims<sims at ezpzapps.com> wrote:
> If I make an OS X standalone I can check the version number in the Finder
> using 'Get Info'.
>
> If I use a splash-screen, auto-update technique to update my app then I can
> change the version number that my own About menu shows. But that change is
> not reflected in the Finder 'Get Info'.
>
> So, if the user checks a version number in the Finder they might think they
> have the wrong version.
>
> The only resolution I can think of is to use something like: version 1.0
> (123) in the About menu, where the parentheses indicate the changes in
> versions. The user, if they check the About to be sure of what the Finder
> shows, might be satisfied but I suspect few users will do so.

I use a utility I wrote that reads the info.plist file and allows you
to change the version number stored there.
When you save the new version data, the app is "touched" which not
only makes it show the updated data from info.plist, but it changes
the app's modification date to the current date.
It isn't very neat, but it works well and if people are interested, I
would be happy to make it available.

Cheers,
Sarah