Version number, Splash screen, Auto-update

jim sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Sun Jun 28 23:50:59 EDT 2009

If I make an OS X standalone I can check the version number in the
Finder using 'Get Info'.

If I use a splash-screen, auto-update technique to update my app then
I can change the version number that my own About menu shows. But that
change is not reflected in the Finder 'Get Info'.

So, if the user checks a version number in the Finder they might think
they have the wrong version.

The only resolution I can think of is to use something like: version
1.0 (123) in the About menu, where the parentheses indicate the
changes in versions. The user, if they check the About to be sure of
what the Finder shows, might be satisfied but I suspect few users will
do so.

How do others handle this?

sims