runrev 4.0 - kudos and a gripe

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Sun Jun 28 10:02:31 EDT 2009

Hi David,

> I'd prefer not to find out that the Rev Web Plugin
> lack certain core features a few weeks before release, and I'd like to
> think
> that by suggesting and discussing them with the community this input would
> help RunRev ensure the new products are as good as they could be given the
> resources invested.

What is *not* going to be in the first version of the plug-in (e.g.: talking
with JavaScript) is something that has only recently been decided, as we
approach the betas and release. This is typical of the software development
cycle; you cut features you don't think will make it as the ship date nears.

I have to say that I find runrev quite open to input from members of the
community. After all, my association with them began as a poster to the
use-rev list. Most all of the development priorities over the last two years
(beginning with Rev 2.8.1 and the free Rev 2.9 release) have been driven by
communication with users -- either through reading the forums and lists,
direct emails, multiple surveys, the Quality Control Center, online events,
or conferences like last year's RunRevLive.08. (That's why having
RunRevLive.09 in Edinburgh, where you can speak face-to-face with the entire
engineering and management team, is such an advantage, and why we've put the
effort into the Web Simulcast of this year's dev conference.)

The company has grown a lot in this respect and I would suggest it's now
superior in this regard compared to many other software publishers. It's not
that we don't know what our users want, or it didn't occur to us that
communication with JavaScript (or richer text fields) was a desireable
capability. It's that we have a long list of things we want to do and have
to choose carefully what comes first. Based on the overwhelmingly
enthusiastic response to the plugin, I think we've demonstrated it will be
quite exciting and usable and worthwhile even without this capability in the
first release.

- Bill