Rev cannot open my jpeg ! - and some serious thinking

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 20:33:07 EDT 2009

> Which brings me to the forum question "I've got photos of 13 megapixels that
> Rev can't handle". Who wants to push the (Revolution) envelope that far ?

Me for one. My app Pic-a-POD <http://www.troz.net/Pic-a-POD/> suffers
greatly from this problem as more and more large images appear on the
internet. At the moment I am forced to check for images with more than
4000 pixels on any side, and if so, I just have to show a notice
saying that the image is too big to display. This is not always
correct as a tall thin image can work but I haven't been able to work
out an exact algorithm for telling what will work and what won't. Even
more unfortunately, there is no error reported when Rev tries to
display an image that is too big - you just get horrible grey streaks
or some other form of distortion.

As consumer level cameras produce larger and larger images, the
prevalence of such images will only increase and I think it is
unrealistic to say that people shouldn't be using such large images.
If their cameras can do it, why would they not take images at the
highest possible quality? This is not a problem that is going to go
away and I think RunRev need to give some serious thought to fixing
the image object.

Cheers,
Sarah