OT: Data recovery from incomplete CD

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Jun 22 18:57:11 EDT 2009

Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I have a CD that may contain a few files I lost.
> I've tried a couple of data recovery programs but they won't work unless
> the CD will mount, and this one appears blank in both OS X and WinXP.
> Anyone know of a utility that could deal with this? Either OS is fine.
>
> It won't be disastrous if I can't get the files back, but I'd like to try.

>From what you describe, it sounds like the CD (we're talking standard data
compact disc here yes?) is scratched or otherwise damaged in some way, which
has nothing to do with the loss of your hard drive.  If this is the case,
and you find no other options, as a last resort you might try getting a disc
scratch remover, ie SkipDoctor or similar.  The consumer products seem to
get low user approval, but I've used one of these on some badly scratched
movie CDs and it seemed to work.  Alternately, you could use a commercial
resurfacing service, ie http://www.directpage.com/index.php?cPath=71 (never
used them, seems cheap) but again, only as last resort.

If you're talking about a different kind of media, then never mind :-)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design