OT: Data recovery from incomplete CD

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jun 22 17:41:37 EDT 2009

In the wake of my recently deceased hard drive, I have a CD that may
contain a few files I lost. It was created while standing at the Apple
Genuis Bar with my fingers crossed while my Mac was booted from their
utility hard drive. 90 percent of the copying completed before the drive
gave up and died. The CD was forced-unmounted while still uncompleted
and the hard drive declared a total loss.

While I have all my important files backed up, the CD contains a few
odds and ends I'd like to get back if possible. When I put the CD into
my Mac, Finder tells me it is a blank disk. Disk Utility doesn't see it
either. I know there are at least a few megabytes of data on it though.

I've tried a couple of data recovery programs but they won't work unless
the CD will mount, and this one appears blank in both OS X and WinXP.
Anyone know of a utility that could deal with this? Either OS is fine.

It won't be disastrous if I can't get the files back, but I'd like to try.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com