To On-Rev or Not to On-Rev

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 05:57:38 EDT 2009

> I'm considering taking the On-Rev plunge.  My main use of it would be to
> collect data from online experiments that use interactive web pages deployed
> by Revolution.  I have the luxury of a static IP at my university, so I
> currently use my Mac as a server, and given that the web page functionality
> of Rev HTML tags will apparently be included in future versions of
> Revolution, I wonder whether a switch to On-Rev is worth it.  What do you
> think?

I run an intranet data server based on Andre's RevOnRockets. This is
really effective and does NOT require On-Rev as it is all hosted on
one of the computers on my LAN.

However I am a great supporter of On-Rev and bought a founder
membership so I could use it for my own personal web site and for
serving web data outside my network. The future web page functionality
will be achieved by getting people to install a Rev plugin so that
stacks can appear inside web pages. I think there will always be
people and places who do not allow this, so I prefer to use On-Rev for
my web page scripting.

So basically, my advice would be to stick to what you know works,
unless you can see a benefit to the more advanced web page scripting
abilities of On-Rev.

Cheers,
Sarah