OS X Dock menu

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 05:33:08 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Jim Sims<sims at ezpzapps.com> wrote:
> Thank you Klaus and Mark.
>
> I was hoping to use the icon menu part and not the changing icon part.
> It seems that the menu has issues after it has been used a time or two and
> simply stops working. At first (as is my usual suspicion) I thought it must
> be my scripting, but after reading the list archives and seeing Sarah's
> words:
>
> Anyway, I hope my experience will save others from wasting their time
> - the dock icon works fine, but don't bother trying to make a menu :-(
> If Sarah wasn't getting it to work then my attempts stopped right there.
>
> Too bad, would be a great feature.

Wait! I got it to work after a Rev update (forget which one).

If you want to check out the Mac version of Pic-a-POD
<http://www.troz.net/Pic-a-POD/> you can see a dynamic Dock menu in
action.

I use an iconMenuOpening handler to create the menu on the fly,
including sub-menus,
Then I have an iconMenuPick handler that deals with any menu selections.

I also set the Dock icon (optionally) and the only trick there is to
make sure the image being used is the right size (128 x 128) or it
won't work. I haven't tried a smaller icon, but larger does not work.

I have only tried this on Mac. I believe it works in a similar way
with the system tray in Windows, but I haven't tried that yet.

Cheers,
Sarah

P.S. My apologies for the late response to this thread. I've spent the
last 2 weeks in hospital with a broken leg (I shattered my tibial
plateau for the experts on the list). Eventually the swelling went
down enough for them to bolt me together and I am now home - re-united
with my beloved family and Mac :-) Still on pain-killers so brain
working at about half-speed, but glad to be getting back into the
usual things, even if I can only hop about on crutches for the next 12
weeks.