Best practice: how to write local plugin functions for library handlers?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Jun 18 11:41:06 EDT 2009

David,

I don't know if I really understood the problem so pardon me if I give you a
non-solution. When I don't know in advance what functions I will be calling
during runtime, I usually do the following. First I create a global array
with elements which are also arrays, this stored elements have the following
keys:

name  -  a generic name for a given function, it need not be tied to the
function real name.
method - the real function/handler name of a given function or handler
type - if it is a function or a handler/command
target - a long id to the function/handler is available.

so a hello world might look like this:

myHelloA["name"] =  "helloworld"
myHelloA["method"] = "mySweetHelloWorld"
myHelloA["type"] = "command"
myHelloA["target"] = "stack "hello.rev""

With an array of such elements, I have a dictionary of available functions.
If you loops this array you can depending on the type, assemble a dispatch
or a value call. So to add more tests, you just add more elements to the
global storage array.

I use a similar code in my xmlrpc server and it works fine. Generating code
chunks at runtime and executing them might be easier to maintain than a
catch all code. I like generating code at runtime. If you're only executing
inside the IDE then you don't need "do", you can create a temp stack, set
the script of it to your runtime generated piece and call it. No penalty
there.

Hope this helps
andre