Weather reporting in Rev

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Jun 16 15:21:57 EDT 2009

> Anyone have any ideas on how to import (from a web site) a simple
> text-based weather report for the current day into a Rev application
> based on zip code?

I'd probably use "screen scraping" techniques; for example, my zip code is
54701, so I go to weather.com and enter my zip. That takes me to a page
which is this URL:

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/54701?lswe=54701&lwsa=WeatherLocalUndec
lared&from=searchbox_localwx

I can then use "put url <url> into <variable>" and then I have all the HTML
code for that page in a variable:

  put " http://www.weather.com/weather/local/54701?lswe=54701&" & \
     "lwsa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&from=searchbox_localwx" into tURL
  put url tURL into tHTML

Then you can parse the HTML looking for the tags that surround the temp,
wind speed, etc.

Of course if Weather.com ever changes their format you'd have to change
yours as well, but it's a good starting point.

If this is for something commercial, better yet would be to subscribe to an
XML feed that would be in a consistent format.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/