How to handle a "wait for file" situation

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Jun 9 16:53:26 EDT 2009

Recently, Mark Smith wrote:

> Yes, I think you have to be careful with mouse stuff:
>
> on mouseDown
>     repeat
>        if the mouse is up then exit repeat
>        put the mouseloc
>     end repeat
> end mouseDown

In my experience, the processor load is relative to the frequency of Rev's
messages.  Messages sent with a frequency of once a second or longer do not
appear to significantly impact the processor.  As message frequency
increases to intervals less than one second, processor load begins to
increase significantly.

One interesting exception is "wait... with messages".  This can effectively
act as an ultra fast loop or repeat but does not appear to impact processor
load (at least not according to OS X's Activity Monitor).

on mouseUp
   wait until mouseH() > 200 with messages
   put "done"
end mouseUp