Remote database access: How? and more how?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:19:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Tereza Snyder <tereza at califex.com> wrote:

> Uh... ??? Does this imply that if I could figure out how and why to "set
> the password handling of the remote MySQL database to old style" I might be
> able to connect without an intermediating CGI script? I can do what I like
> with the host in this case (except shut it down) as it's not shared. But
> other (web) apps are using the same MySQL on that host, so I can't do
> anything that will affect them. Am I stuck?

Basically, my understanding is that the sever could be running a version of
mySQL server which is post 4.1. Rev uses a mySQL client version pre 4.1.
Password handling changed at mySQL 4.1 so if a post 4.1 DB has accounts
which will be using a pre 4.1 client, the server needs to be told which
accounts they are so it can use the old password mechanism.

MySQL User Manual 5.0.4 para 5.6.9 page 309 explains. If you have a
different pdf version of the  manual just search "Password Hashing in MySQL
4.1". It is very detailed and lists some pros and cons of different ways to
handle this problem.

If you go with what is described in the mySQL manual as Scenario 2, you want
to, in Terminal or Navicat when logged into mySQL as Admin:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');

Once this is done, the password for the account will be in pre 4.1 format so
you should be able to log into the account directly using Rev.

HTH