A fix for the the Help shortcut bug

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Thu Jun 4 11:33:18 EDT 2009

Hi,

One of the most annyong bugs in Revolution is the disfunctional Help
shortcut. It is that annyoing because first I notice at least every
single day, when I press command-? to open the Help window, which
doesn't happen, and second it is extremely easy to fix, really takes
no more than 10 minutes. This bug has been around for years and I'm
fed up with it. So, here's how to fix it, following the IDE's
conventions. Obviously, do this only if you know what you're doing and
don't contact support if you're suddenly experiencing new problems
after applying this fix (*usual disclaimers apply).

Put the following into the message box:

   edit script of btn "revShortCuts" of stack "revLibrary"

Search for the line

   "if the shiftkey is not down"

You will see that this line is the start of an if-then-else control
structure, which contains a switch control structure. The last case in
the switch is case "7". Add a case, right after the break for case 7,
and add a case for the slash ("/")/. Now add, starting on a new line:

case "/"
   send "menuPick" && quote & "Help Contents" & quote to btn "Help" of
stack "revMenuBar"
   break

Optionally, you can paste the following handler at the end of the
script:

on rawKeyDown theKey
      if theKey is 268762986 then
           send "menuPick" && quote & "Help Contents" & quote to btn
"Help" of stack "revMenuBar"
      else pass rawKeyDown
end rawKeyDown

This will allow you to press the Help key on the extended Apple
keyboard to open the dictionary (it might even work on PC's). Now
compile the script. Next, type the following in the messge box and
type enter:

   edit script of btn "Help" of stack "revMenuBar"

Search for the line

           case "Dictionary"

and create a new empty line right after this line. Type the following
on the new empty line:

           case "Help Contents"

and compile the script. As a result, the cases Dictionay and Help
Contents will do the same from now on. Subsequently, execute the
following line from the message box:

save stack "revLibrary"

as well as the syntax

save stack "revMenubar"

You can now close the script editor windows and you're done.

If you tried this without success or if you know a better solution,
please let me know off-list.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
Snapper Screen Recorder 2.0.1 http://snapper.economy-x-talk.com

If you sent me an e-mail before 15 May and haven't got a reply yet,
please send me a reminder.