DataGrid

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Jun 1 14:10:17 EDT 2009

On May 30, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Beat Cornaz wrote:

> What a wonderful job, Trevor. It is truly amazing.

Hi Beat,

Thanks. I'm glad you like it.

> I have studied the manual and the list, so I hope my questions have
> not been asked before :
>
> 1. Is it possible to print the content (including headers) of a
> Datagrid like printing a field. I mean so that the layout of the
> Datagrid is kept. This would be absolutely great.
> Of course I could 'Print card', but the quality is much less than
> printing text from a field. I am afraid it won't yet be possible, as
> it is not mentioned in the manual or  on the list.

No, there is not special printing feature built into the data grid. I
haven't printed data grid content myself so I don't have any
suggestions in this area.

> 2. How do I set the number of columns by script?

Set the "columns" property. It is listed on the properties page.

<http://revolution.screenstepslive.com/spaces/revolution_tools/manuals/datagrid/lessons/3460

> 3. Is it possible to drag a complete  line in a DataGrid to a new
> position (custom hand sorting)?

There is undocumented drag reordering functionality in the data grid.
I haven't had time to finalize and test the APIs yet so it will remain
undocumented until I do so. If you want to dig around in the code you
can start by looking at the dgTrackDragDrop setProp.

> 4. How can I lock one column for editing, leaving the others free to
> be edited? dgProps["allow editing"] seems to be a global prop.

You can customize the default column behavior to do this:

How Do I Override the Default Behavior For Rendering Data to a Cell?: <http://revolution.screenstepslive.com/spaces/revolution_tools/manuals/datagrid/lessons/4202-How-Do-I-Override-the-Default-Behavior-For-Rendering-Data-to-a-Cell-

Just modify the behavior in the mouseDoubleUp so that cell editing
only occurs if a particular column is clicked on.

> 5. Is it possible for a piece of text to overflow into the next cell
> if that cell is empty. If so, how do I do that?

There is no built-in way of doing this.

> 6. How do I 'open up' a cell by script for the user to immediately
> type into it.

I still have to put together docs on field editing but I think
EditCell/EditCellOfIndex should do what you need.

dispatch "EditCell" to group "DataGrid 1" with pColumnName, pLineNo
dispatch "EditCellOfIndex" to group "DataGrid 1" with pColumnName,
pIndex

> I noticed that the Datagrid group stays 'grouped', also if I choose
> the inverse of 'select grouped'. While ordinary groups yield their
> parts, not so the Datagrid.
> I am wondering if the only reason is, that the user will not mess up
> the coordinates of the parts of the group, or is there another
> deeper reason behind?

In Rev 3.5 the selectGroupedControls property of a group determines
whether or not you can select group controls. This is a very important
feature for custom controls. Just set selectGroupedControls of the
data grid group to false if you want to inspect it.

> much thanks for this great piece of work,

You are welcome.

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore