mac and pc text file

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Jul 27 14:02:02 EDT 2009

On Jul 27, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Yves COPPE wrote:

> Hi list
>

> I've made a soft which create a texte file
> The problem is that if this text file is saved on a Pc and then read
> on a mac, some characters are not readable
> How can I make a script that saves a text contained in a variable to a
> text file with the same characters on mac AND on windows ?

Yves,

The problem is that Mac and Windows use different character sets for
characters > ASCII 127. The Mac's character set is called MacRoman and
Windows uses Windows-1252, which is nearly identical the the standard
ISO Latin 1 (8859-1).

Check out the macToISO and ISOtoMac functions in the dictionary. They
let you convert upper-ASCII characters so they display properly on the
current platform.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay