Filter by Item and What gives with my field?

Tom Cole tom.cole at asu.edu
Sun Jul 26 19:23:36 EDT 2009

Dear Group,

I have two items that I hope someone can help on. One is very
straightforward: I need to filter a field by the items.
That is, I have a field with zillions of records with four items
(comma delimited)

itemone,itemtwo,itemthree,itemfour

I want itemfour to disappear after I put the field into a variable.
The problem is that item four is never the same, so I can't filter by
a specific string. I'm sure there must be a way to just have all of
item four go poof.

Second, I have a field that is full of TAB delimited records like this:

Southern Arizona Trip TAB 5/27/1973 TAB This was the trip when we got
two flat tires in the middle of nowhere.

Just three items each. Sometimes, however, item three is a whole ten-
page essay with paragraph returns but no tabs of course.

When I pasted all of these records in a field, not everything appears
there if you scroll through it. However, if you script: answer fld
journal, you see the complete version. If you copy the journal field
to the clipboard it is also complete. But you cannot SEARCH the field
for the things in it because they're hidden. Is there some field
property that is truncating the field in various places? I feel that I
am back to hypercard with the 30,000 character limit. What gives?

I want to see all of the stuff I wrote without copying it and pasting
it somewhere. It's so strange to see only a small part of what you
wrote and then to copy the text and find that it is, indeed, there.

Thanks,
Tom