revMedia revlet demo

Bruce Pokras infinite00 at embarqmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:53:30 EDT 2009

It is amazing to see a stack, even a simple one, working in a web
page (or maybe I am too easily impressed). I had been working on a
simple app to collect patent family information from a list of
patents. It uses Simple Open Access Protocol (SOAP) to query a
European Patent Office server which then returns a list of patents or
applications that are related to a patent in some way (i.e., a patent
"family"). I have been calling it Family-izer.

Since Family-izer is a simple stack (a field for the patent numbers,
a field for the returned patent families, and a couple of buttons), I
decided to see how it would work using the webRev plugin. I was not
sure if there would be issues with this internet query and response
system, but it works GREAT! To see it in action, go to http://
www.blazingdawn.com/demo/family-izer.html.

So far it works f ine in Safari and Firefox on the Mac (it does not
work with Sea Monkey), and with Firefox on a Windows XP laptop. I
apparently could not get the plugin to install properly for Internet
Explorer on the Win XP laptop. Even though there were no error
messages during the installation, Internet Explorer keeps showing the
"you need to download the plugin" message. Rebooting after the
installation did not help. If anyone has encountered this and found a
way around it, please let me know. I do not have admin privileges on
the Win XP laptop, so I am wondering if that is the problem. However,
that did not prevent Firefox from working.

Regards,

Bruce Pokras
Blazing Dawn Software
mac-stacks at kagi.com