Any thoughts on speed limitations of Revlet?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jul 26 14:44:45 EDT 2009

James Hurley wrote:

> I have uploaded an old stack of mine which is both calculational and
> graphic-display intensive, my old Nine Ball simulation:
>
> go url "http://jamesphurley.com/NineBallWithSpin.rev"
>
> As I suspected from both Richard's and Sarah's findings that the
> calculational parts (calculating the positions and velocities of all
> the balls and determining the new positions and velocities after
> collisions) run very well in Safari. But the motion of the balls is
> very stuttered. It runs at full speed, that is it takes the same time
> to execute one "shot" but the motion of the balls is herky-jerky.

My guess is this is related to the browser's event loop.

When running in a standalone, there's only the Rev engine's event loop
and those of whatever other apps and OS components are running.

But when running in the browser you have all of that plus the browser's
own fairly extensive event loop.

I suspect with all of the events browsers need to trap, dispatch, and
handle, what you're seeing is just a natural by-product of running
inside the browser.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World